You’re sitting at home when you get a whiff of something nasty. Now, it wasn’t you, and it’s hanging around too long for you to blame it on the dog, so what could it be? After some investigative sniffing, you discover that the awful smell is coming from the sink! So, what can you do to get rid of the dreadful aroma? Don’t stress; Your Local Plumbing & Drainage is here to help you (and your nose) get some peace. We’re the experts at drain cleaning in Melbourne, and we can have your plumbing smelling fresh again in no time.
What Causes Drains To Smell?
There are a few things that cause drains to reek, and none of it’s very pretty. Here are a few of the most common culprits.
- Food build-up. When we’re rinsing and washing our dishes, it’s easy for food to slip down the drain without us noticing. This food can get stuck and begin decomposing in the pipes, attracting bacteria and causing awful smells.
- Organic build-up. This is a nice way of saying hair, toothpaste, grease, and soap. To avoid organic build-up, put sink strainers over the drains, so organic waste doesn’t cause an issue.
- Sewer gas. A sewer gas trap (also known as a P-trap) is the part of the drain where water is stored. It’s the part of the pipe that bends into a U-shape, and the water is supposed to be refreshed every time you use the sink or shower. However, if the water isn’t sitting properly or the sink and shower aren’t used regularly, the gasses from the drain escape and waft through the house, causing foul smells.
- Sink flies. These little feral pests are drawn to places that have decomposing organic matter and stagnant water, so your drains are ideal homes for them. They lay their eggs in the drains and sewerage, multiplying very quickly. Sink flies cause bad smells if there’s a large number of them.
- Mould. If the foul smell coming from your drain smells less like decomposition and more like a musty aroma, it could be mould in the drains. Wherever there’s moisture, there’s mould, so you need to hire a drain cleaner regularly to keep it at bay.
Are There Any Other Signs Your Drain Might Need Cleaning?
While bad smells are a clear sign you need a drain cleaner in Melbourne, there are a few other red flags to keep in mind.
- Slow draining or accumulating water. If your sinks are slow to drain, or worse, don’t drain at all, you’ll likely need to get your drains cleaned. It could be a sign of a blockage in the pipes, so call a plumber to check it out.
- Strange noises. A blockage in the drains will cause your pipes to make a gurgling, bubbling, or rattling sound as the water tries to get around the build-up.
- Your efforts aren’t working. If you’ve used drain cleaner and you’ve tried a few troubleshooting tricks to no avail, it’s time to give the professionals at Your Local Plumbing & Drainage a call.
- Strange pools of water around the yard. If you have a clogged drain that needs cleaning, the water will still need to go somewhere. You may start finding small pools of foul-smelling water around your yard or under your home. As soon as you find one, call a drain cleaner to address the problem ASAP.
How Do Your Local Plumbing & Drainage Clean Drains?
At Your Local Plumbing & Drainage, we try to avoid using harmful chemicals, so we use other effective methods instead.
- Same-day service and $0 call out fee. As soon as you need us, the Your Local Plumbing & Drainage team are there to help. We’re available 24/7, so call us the moment you realise your drains need a clean.
- CCTV inspections. The first thing we’ll do is use CCTV to find the cause of the bad smell in your drains. We do this to figure out whether it’s an organic build-up or whether something more solid like a tree root is causing the problem.
- Hydro-jet drain cleaning. We use high-powered hydro jets at Your Local Plumbing & Drainage to clear the blockage and clean your drains. This is a far less destructive cleaning method for both the environment and your plumbing.
When You Need A Drain Cleaning Service, Call Your Local Plumbing & Drainage
With over ten years of experience, 24/7 emergency plumbing services, and the friendliest service around, it’s no wonder Your Local Plumbing & Drainage are the first point of call for so many in the Melbourne area. We’re proud to say that we’re committed to honest and transparent communication, professionalism, and delivering speedy services when and where you need them. When you need drain cleaning services, contact Your Local Plumbing & Drainage and get a plumber you can rely on