Let’s face it; your roof is one of the most important parts of the home. Without it, we’d have no protection from the elements! So why is it that the roof always suffers from a little bit of neglect? The Your Local Plumbing & Drainage team are roof and gutter repair specialists, and if you have a leaking roof in Melbourne, we’re the right people for the job. We appreciate the importance of the humble roof, so we’re here to help you take good care of yours.
Common Causes Of A Leaking Roof
A few things might be causing a roof to leak, so check and see if you can see any of the following issues.
- Blocked gutters. If your gutters are obstructed with dirt, leaves, sticks, and debris, water won’t drain effectively. The water will find a way to drain somehow, even if that means finding a hole in your roof.
- Old roofs tend to leak. The older the roof, the more likely it is to spring a leak. If you’re worried about the state of your roof, the Your Local Plumbing & Drainage team can come out and inspect it properly.
- Rust or corrosion. Depending on what your roof is made of, you might have holes developing from rust or corrosion.
- Inadequate sloping. If your roof doesn’t slope enough to allow water to run off, it will pool and leak over time.
- Poorly installed flashings. Flashings are the sections of folded metal installed on the roof to prevent water from finding its way into your ceiling. They can be a bit difficult to install correctly, and if done incorrectly, your roof won’t be watertight.
- Pests. Possums, rats, and mice love living in ceilings. The insulation makes a beautiful cosy nest for them, so if they can find a way in, they will. Unfortunately, wherever the pests come in, the water can come in too.
- Skylights. As your skylight ages, you may begin to notice watermarks around the edges. Make sure you have it checked out, as it could be a risk for leaks.
How To Prevent A Leaking Roof In Melbourne
As one of the best plumbers in the western suburbs of Melbourne, Your Local Plumbing & Drainage know a thing or two about preventing leaks and avoiding the need for roof gutter repairs.
- Clean the gutters regularly. Make sure to plan to clean your gutters regularly, especially before and after storm season to make sure the water can flow away from your home properly.
- Organise a roof inspection. The team at Your Local Plumbing & Drainage are the experts at roof plumbing in Melbourne, and we can check to make sure there’s no existing damage or risk of damage on your roof.
- Don’t forget about the garden. Any trees or low hanging branches near your roof could potentially damage your roof. The last thing you want is for a branch to fall, leaving you to organise roof repairs in Werribee.
What NOT To Do If You Have A Leaking Roof
If you find a leak in your roof, you may want to find a solution immediately to prevent damage to your home and possessions. However, there are a few things you should avoid doing at all costs.
- Walking on the roof. It seems logical to go on the roof to find the problem’s source, but walking on the roof can be very dangerous unless you know where to stand. It can also damage the shingles and cause issues.
- Lifting shingles or tiles to look for damage. You need to leave the assessment of your roof to a professional roofer or plumber. Once you’ve raised a tile, you might not know how to properly replace it, which can cause further damage.
- Using the wrong materials to patch up the leak. If you use the wrong equipment and materials to fix the leak, you’ll find that the issue will come back again very quickly. Your Local Plumbing & Drainage are specialists in roof repairs in Hopper’s Crossing and the surrounding areas. We also provide a workmanship warranty, so you can rest assured the leak will be fixed correctly the first time.
If You Have A Leaking Roof In Melbourne, Your Local Plumbing & Drainage Can Help
With over ten years of experience, 24/7 emergency plumbing services, and the friendliest service around, it’s no wonder Your Local Plumbing & Drainage are the first point of call for so many in the Melbourne area. We’re proud to say that we’re committed to honest and transparent communication, professionalism, and delivering speedy services when and where you need them. If you have a leaking roof in Melbourne, contact Your Local Plumbing & Drainage and get a plumber you can rely on.