Is Your Bathroom Sink Or Shower Blocked? Here’s What To Do With A Clogged Bathroom Drain
Sinks, showers, and tubs don’t just overflow for no reason; there’s usually a reason why they’re clogged. Before you run around searching for ways to fix your blocked bathroom sink, it can help to understand why your drain became clogged in the first place. Getting to the root of the blockage will help you find a solution far more quickly. At Your Local Plumbing & Drainage, we’re the experts at unblocking shower drains, bathroom sinks, and bathtubs, so you can rest assured your plumbing is in good hands. Here are a few tips on how to handle your blocked pipes.
The Red Flags Of A Blocked Drain
When a bathroom or shower drain is blocked, you’ll see, hear, and smell some pretty clear red flags.
- Gurgling noises. Gurgling, rattling, or banging sounds when you turn on the water are signs of a blockage, so don’t ignore the warning!
- The toilet level. If your toilet water is sitting higher or lower than usual, it could mean you have a blocked drain.
- Terrible smells. Stagnant water alone is a pretty distinctive smell, but when you add all the fluids and waste the bathroom has to offer, you can imagine how unpleasant it can become!
- Slow draining water. If you have a blocked bathroom sink, shower, or tub, your water will drain very slowly. As the blockage becomes worse over time, you’ll eventually get to a point where the water cannot drain at all.
- Greywater is turning up in strange places. Although your bathroom drain may be clogged, all that water will need to flow somewhere. If you find greywater accumulating either inside or outside your home, make sure to give Your Local Plumbing & Drainage a call ASAP.
What Causes A Blocked Bathroom Drain?
Your bathroom drain could be blocked for any number of reasons. However, in our experience, there are a few usual suspects causing the issue.
- Hair. That’s right; your hair is one of the most common reasons for a clogged bathroom sink or shower drain. Unless the drains are snaked regularly, hair builds up, causing a blockage that could lead to flooding or leaks. You can also invest in a simple hair strainer for the drains to prevent the hair from entering the shower drain plumbing.
- Sanitary products and wipes. Unlike toilet paper, wipes aren’t usually biodegradable, and they don’t break down in the water. Instead, they cause havoc on your plumbing system before making their way into the ocean as pollution. Never flush any sanitary products or wipes.
- Cotton tips, dental floss, and other debris. You’d think that a tiny little cotton swab would go easily through the drains when put into the sink, wouldn’t you? Well, unfortunately, it doesn’t. Cotton tips, dental floss, bandaids, and other bits of debris regularly find their way into our bathroom drain, where they often get stuck in the maze of pipes. Unless it’s water, you shouldn’t be putting it down the drain.
How To Troubleshoot Your Blocked Drain
Sometimes, the solution to a blocked bathroom sink, shower, or bathtub doesn’t require a plumber at all. Your Local Plumbing & Drainage team has a few tips and tricks to help you unclog your drains, but if they don’t work, feel free to give us a call.
- Pour hot water down the bathroom drain. It’s one of the oldest tricks in the book, but for really small build-ups, hot water can clear the blockage pretty quickly. You might have to try it a few times before it works.
- Chemical cleaner. Harsh chemical cleaners like draino will dissolve grease, hair, and food, but they won’t work on solid blockages. If you can, avoid using chemical cleaners as they’re very harmful to the environment and your plumbing system.
- Create a natural cleaner. Pour ½ cup of bicarb soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup of vinegar. Cover the drain and let the oxygen work its magic. Repeat the process a few times before rinsing the bathroom drain with boiling water.
- Call Your Local Plumbing & Drainage. If you’ve still got a blocked bathroom sink, shower, or tub, give us a call. We’ve got a range of techniques to clear your blocked drains safely without damaging your pipes or the environment.
If You Have A Clogged Bathroom Sink Or Shower, Call Your Local Plumbing & Drainage
With over ten years of experience, 24/7 emergency plumbing services, and the friendliest service around, it’s no wonder Your Local Plumbing & Drainage are the first point of call for so many in the Melbourne area. We’re proud to say that we’re committed to honest and transparent communication, professionalism, and delivering speedy services when and where you need them. If you’ve got a blocked bathroom sink, contact Your Local Plumbing & Drainage and call a plumber you can rely on.